


Charlie R. Joy, 86 years old, died quietly in his sleep Thursday, 8/27/09; joining his beloved wife of 63 years, Nina Farnsworth Joy, who passed in 2006. A native Arizonan, Charlie was born September 19, 1922, in Flagstaff. He’s well-remembered as a construction superintendent building many roads and bridges still in use today and also for his years training and racing Thoroughbreds at large tracks throughout the Western United States. Charlie had an inventive mind, a helping hand, a generous heart, and great humor and talent as a story teller.
He is “Dad” to daughters Charlene Baker of Sun City and Charlotte Hall of Camp Verde and son Bob Joy of Phoenix. He blessed many lives, especially those who knew him as “Grandpa Joy”, great-grandfather... This was the obituary, but there is no way that any small article could do him Justice. My Grandpa was an amazing man who respected and loved his "sweetheart" most of his life, he taught us about love. We will miss him, but we are so happy in the knowledge that he is with Grandma now, and we can be with both of them again some day. They were both such a big part of my life. After My Mom and little sister were killed in the car accident, they took care of me, it was a scary time for me, but Grandpa could always make me laugh even if it wasn’t appropriate and it made Grandma a little crazy.. I now realize that my sometimes”naughty” sense of humor is definitely genetic. Grandpa and Grandma took me with them wherever they needed to go. I remember getting to Turf Paradise (the Track)before daylight, every morning, I loved going and feeling like I was helping them at work. To this day the smell of coffee, Danish and Horses makes me feel all warm inside! I spent time with them every summer throughout my youth, my Grandpa taught me to do the "two-step", but there was nothing better than watching he and Grandma dance together. We have no doubt that they shared a dance as they met again... His funeral was amazing; he was SO loved and respected by everyone he knew, there were people at his service who had worked for him, raced horses with him and of course his posterity.... We LOVE you.
He is “Dad” to daughters Charlene Baker of Sun City and Charlotte Hall of Camp Verde and son Bob Joy of Phoenix. He blessed many lives, especially those who knew him as “Grandpa Joy”, great-grandfather... This was the obituary, but there is no way that any small article could do him Justice. My Grandpa was an amazing man who respected and loved his "sweetheart" most of his life, he taught us about love. We will miss him, but we are so happy in the knowledge that he is with Grandma now, and we can be with both of them again some day. They were both such a big part of my life. After My Mom and little sister were killed in the car accident, they took care of me, it was a scary time for me, but Grandpa could always make me laugh even if it wasn’t appropriate and it made Grandma a little crazy.. I now realize that my sometimes”naughty” sense of humor is definitely genetic. Grandpa and Grandma took me with them wherever they needed to go. I remember getting to Turf Paradise (the Track)before daylight, every morning, I loved going and feeling like I was helping them at work. To this day the smell of coffee, Danish and Horses makes me feel all warm inside! I spent time with them every summer throughout my youth, my Grandpa taught me to do the "two-step", but there was nothing better than watching he and Grandma dance together. We have no doubt that they shared a dance as they met again... His funeral was amazing; he was SO loved and respected by everyone he knew, there were people at his service who had worked for him, raced horses with him and of course his posterity.... We LOVE you.





4 comments:
You continue to do them honor, honey, not only in thoughts like these, but in the way you and Loren live. Our tears for them are finally happy ones now, too...it was harder to let go than I had imagined!...but to think of Mom & Dad reunited feels so true and is so uplifting!! Wendy, I'm so happy to see you 'blogging' again. I look forward to reading your entries and have missed them. Love you -
Very nice tribute to your grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man. I love that you got some of your NAUGHTINESS from him, because it always makes me laugh!
You would not be YOU without your NAUGHTY comments, so for that, I'm grateful for your grandpa's influence on you. I'm glad that he and your grandma and doin' the two step in heaven!!!
I wish I could have known him. To know you, is to know him, I'm sure. Have you ever thought about writing...seriously! You have the material, give it a try. You know where you could start, a very spiritual experience, that fateful, horrible day. The day your Mother left this earth. Think about it. Love ya, Jane
Post a Comment